[mdlug] Question | Problem with Libre Office Write (v7, at the moment)

Rick Hall email5000 at usa.com
Mon Feb 8 20:19:34 EST 2021

Perhaps someone can help or, at least, shed some light on, a problem I'm
having with Libre Office. I just upgraded to the latest (I believe) --
v7.1.0.3, hoping that this problem has been resolved; although I've had
this problem with previous versions as well.

Suppose the following text in a lengthy document (see attached document:
LO_RegExpr_example1.odt):

Section 1
( 1) Sub-Section A
     Some text, some text
( 2) Sub-Section B
     Some text, some text
( 3) Sub-Section C
     Some text, some text
( 4) Sub-Section D
     Some text, some text

Section 2
( 5) Sub-Section A
     Some text, some text
( 6) Sub-Section B
     Some text, some text
( 7) Sub-Section C
     Some text, some text
( 8) Sub-Section D
     Some text, some text

The Sub-section headings ['(n)' above] have all been set to a
space-above at 0.25 inches throughout the entire (large) document using
a Style. The text: 'Some text, some text' are lengthy paragraphs, so the
document is 'large enough'.

Now, suppose, due to layout (complications/restrictions/etc.) that the
space above the Sub-Sections in Section 1 needs to change to, let's say,
0.1 inches in a '1-off' manner. To simplify the change, I use the
following regular expression to find those lines in Section 1:

     ^\( ?[:digit:]{1,2}\)  .{1,100}

BTW: Some Sub-Section Adjustments may be more or less than 0.15 in
incremental amounts, so creating new Styles is out of the question.

This finds all of the Sub-Section lines in Section 1 and highlights them
-  just those lines. I now have the ability (supposedly) to change
attributes for those lines. I can change character attributes (Bold,
Underline, Italic, etc), and SOME paragraph attributes (though not too
many), but I cannot change the Spacing attribute(s) on ALL of the
corresponding lines on one operation. The operation affects ONLY the
first line highlighted - even though ALL of the desired lines have been
found and selected.

I'm stumped !!

Thoughts, insights?

Thanks in advance for your help.