[mdlug] mostly OT: catia v5 info

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Fri Oct 19 18:41:22 EDT 2007

Dean Durant wrote:
> Hello, I was just told that Toyota, Honda, Ford, and
> Boeing all had really terrible experiences trying to
> open  catia models over 75 MB in Unix, that catia on

OH, that's very strange, considering that a typical
engine is significantly larger than that...triple
digits.  I've worked at both GM and Ford sites,
I've never heard of any such problems, even as
far back as the mid-1990's.

> Unix becomes "really unstable" on unix with really

Possibly one commercial Unix flavor or another,
but *ALL* Unix flavors?  That would indicate a
bug the IDEAS code -- because IBM's AIX and SGI's
IRIX are still BSD-based, and thus has a kernal
which is significantly different from the
SystemV-based kernals of HP-UX and Solaris (Sun).

> huge models, and that it runs fine on 64 bit windows,
> and fine on Vista.    Additionally, Dassault turned

I find that difficult to believe -- I spent a
rather frustrating year as the "Information
Management Officer" for E Co/1-125th Infantry
in Iraq...NOTHING is stable in Windows-land,
not even Microsoft Office.

In contrast, I was also that administrator
for 12 vehicle-borne machines -- first running
a real-time C3I (Command, Control, Communication
and Intelligence) application on x86 Solaris,
and then RedHat 8.x -- which were widely abused
(improper shutdowns) and had only one system
which needed to be re-imaged.

I easily spent 10x more time on administration
of the Windows systems than that *nix systems --
even though the bandwidth on the satellite-based
networking on the vehicle systems is slow (read
dial-up speed).

> their back on unix at first, then when customers
> screamed, they back-ported Catia to existing Unices
> that people needed ports to.   But Dassault going
> forward is sticking with Windows only, and never
> porting to x86 based Solaris, nor to Linux.  If anyone
> can counter any of this,  I'd be very interested to
> hear the other side of things.  Thanks, Dean

RUMINT is not very reliable.