[mdlug] mostly OT: catia v5 info

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Mon Oct 22 08:50:19 EDT 2007

	UNIX machines have traditionally been "beyond" expensive for many
budgets.

	This often leads to end users deciding to squeeze as much life out
of a system as possible. So, it's not impossible to see nearly 10 year old
UNIX workstations, that might not have even originally been geared for
high-end CAD/CAM work, tasked with running high-end CAD/CAM software.

	So, I can believe those OEMs have trouble with larger CAD files on
UNIX workstations and then having "no" problem with extremely cheap,
commodity hardware PC-based, Windows running hardware. I am willing to bet
that if Desault tossed Catia onto a modern Linux distro on Commodity PC
hardware... They'd experience similar kinds of performance. (Maybe even
better than what they get on Windows XP/Vista, do in no small part to the
better memory management and rare use of Swap space that Linux provides.)

	I'm only speaking from my experience in dealing with Windows running
large CAD/CAM files. The larger the file, the larger the memory footprint of
the application, which has caused application instability as well as slowing
down the whole system to a crawl.

	-Rob