[mdlug] Web filtering software

Robert Meier eaglecoach at wwnet.com
Tue Oct 9 15:34:54 EDT 2007

Ray,

> Our kids are getting good at operating a computer; ...
> My wife wants me to set up some web filtering proactively,
> before there's a problem.

A friend planned to setup a proxy that would accumulate a list of
all the sites his children visited, which he would review
with them periodically.

The benefit he foresaw was that he could use it to teach his children
self-control and judgement.

He believed a filter would merely teach his children that
anything they got away with (not caught by the filter) was fine.

He knew that despite a filter at home,
his children would be exposed to threats outside the home,
and he wanted an opportunity to teach them how to effectively
judge threats, so they could protect themselves wherever they were.

Reporting,
--
Robert Meier

"E-mail is not to be used to pass on information or data. It should be
 used only to be used for company business."
      -- unknown