[mdlug] Setup a Matrix server, Robert.

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jan 17 19:19:44 EST 2023

Jay said on Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:50:22 -0500 (EST)

>    I rather like plain old SMTP Email.

Me too.

> I don't care for anything
> that I
>*HAVE* to have a GUI in order to read comments - in TEXt - from
>another person.

Me too.

> Any added flash and pizaz is just a waste, as only
>the PRINTED TEXT is needed to convey the majority of any
>communications.  A MIME attachment of an image is sometimes helpful
>but not always necessary.

As long as you have attachments at all, you can attach a graphical file.

>    For the record, I still use ALPINE and read all of my email as
> PLAIN
>TEXT.

Me too, except I alternate between Claws-Mail and Evolution.

> Alpine does a nice job of rendering most HTML Email (Apple
>should have been burned to the ground for introducing that trash onto
>the Internet) into just the text.  I do *not* need the images most
>people send in Email as theiy're just extranios garbage.

I'll say one thing for images: If you're a construction contractor or a
customer of same, it's pretty handy to snap a picture of the hole in
the wall.

>    If whatever is proposed excludes my seeing MDLUG member
> communications
>using Alpine and simple SMTP Email, then I'm off to do better things
>elseware.

Me too, on all my memberships.

Let me add a few more advantages of mailing lists:

* It comes to you; you don't have to go out and get it. I'm on probably
  fifty mailing lists. Imagine the hassle if I needed to go to fifty
  URLs, log in, and get my info. No thanks.

* The one and only user interface I need to know is my email client. I
  don't need to know Slack for this group and Discord for that group
  and Facebook for another group and Meetup for another group and
  Google Groups for another.

* You don't need to sign up with an evil corporation like Facebook or
  Google.

* The terms of service are much more readable with a mailing list, the
  indemnification clauses are much less draconian, and with a mailing
  list it's much more difficult to run afoul of the terms of service.

SteveT

Steve Litt