[mdlug] Setup a Matrix server, Robert.

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Tue Jan 17 18:40:43 EST 2023

Le 2023-01-17, Monsieur Jay a ecrit:

>   I rather like plain old SMTP Email.  I don't care for anything that I
> *HAVE* to have a GUI in order to read comments - in TEXt - from another
> person.  Any added flash and pizaz is just a waste, as only the PRINTED TEXT
> is needed to convey the majority of any communications.

I agree. I've noticed that certain people only know how to communicate via
memes or emojis nowadays. They seem to be the ones put off by email.

> For the record, I still use ALPINE and read all of my email as PLAIN TEXT.

Preach, fellow Alpine user!

>   If whatever is proposed excludes my seeing MDLUG member communications
> using Alpine and simple SMTP Email, then I'm off to do better things
> elseware.  Call me a crumudgeon, but I don't buy into new technologies just
> because they are new.

This group has tried more "modern" methods of communicating before.
Remember the MDLUG Forums? It didn't last that long, because this isn't a
high traffic list to begin with, and the Forums just cut that traffic down
even more. I imagine the same would happen with Discord or Matrix or
whatever.

Lots of "20th century technology" is still useful. Anyone comparing email
to horse carriages is just being silly. And searching emails is pretty
simple if you're using a decent mailer (like Alpine).

Michael