[mdlug] Linux Text Editors -- Try Cooledit

Jay jjn at nuge.com
Fri Jan 6 08:31:40 EST 2023

Greetings,

On Fri, 6 Jan 2023, Steve Litt wrote:

> Jay said on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 19:49:45 -0500 (EST)
>
>> He
>> basically grew up on it and never felt that it was difficult.  He
>> could edit files faster that most people could use a GUI editor.
>
> I think the whole point of Vim and vi is speed. Reaching for a mouse
> and going back takes the time of 8 keystrokes if you're a decent
> touch-typist.
>
> Taking it a step farther, my entire workflow is based on keeping my
> fingers on or near touch-typist home position, as much as possible, to
> maximize speed by minimizing reliance on a mouse. I use dmenu and UMENU
> to accomplish this.

    WordPerfect was fast once you familiarized yourself with the DOT
commands.  There were dot commands for indenting a paragraph, selecting a
font or typeface, and many others.  No mouse was ever needed.  I wrote
white papers for publication using WordPerfect using CP/M (and NO mouse).

    I think these early VI (text editor) and WordPerfect (Eord Processor)
tools weren't keyboard-based as much for speed as they were for computers
that did not have a mouse.  When VI was develpoed, the mouse didn't yet
exist and paper-printer terminals were common.

       --- Jay  WB8TKL