[mdlug] Linux Text Editors -- Try Cooledit

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 21:39:17 EST 2023

Le 2023-01-05, Monsieur Jay a ecrit:
>   When I was teaching UNIX/Linus System Administration classes at Washtenaw
> Community College I made my students learn to use VI/VIM.  They had to learn
> the basics needed to open, edit, and save files.
>
>   The reason was that EVERY UNIX/Linux distro included VI (or VIM).

That used to be true, at least for vi (not vim). But recently some Linux
distros have switched their default editor to nano (a clone of pico) and
don't install vim by default anymore.

Back in the early 2000s I remember having to connect to some "network
appliances" running some stripped-down UNIX system that didn't even have
vi, just plain old ed. I did not enjoy that.

Michael