[mdlug] Large archival drive?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Nov 16 01:49:39 EST 2022

Ryan Allen said on Tue, 15 Nov 2022 23:35:59 -0500

>If it’s just for PC backup data, or nothing you’re interested in
>having backed up separately, then I’ve had good luck with those little
>USB
> “bookshelf drives” like this one that you can just plug into a dock
> or something and never really have to worry about again.
>
>https://www.microcenter.com/product/611922/wd-elements-8tb-usb-31-gen-1-desktop-external-hard-drive-black

For backup I've had good luck with these too, as long as they're not
Seagate.

By the way, I use rsync to transfer from my computer to my external
drive, and I use cp -al to transfer only files that are different from
what's already on the external drive, so I get the best of both worlds:
Frequent incremental backups, but my latest and greatest full backup in
one place, as well as former latest and greatest backups in other
directories on the external drive. I don't compress.

SteveT

Steve Litt