[mdlug] Poll: what virtualization products are you using?

Ryan Allen rallen3882 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 10:03:30 EST 2022

I use VMware fusion on a MacBook, and VMware player on a PC, but I don’t usually find myself wishing I had much more on-site horsepower than what a handful of raspberry pis can handle. So nothing nearly as cool as your setup sounds here!

Just yesterday I nearly pulled the trigger on renting the biggest EC2 machine (it’s virtualized so it counts, right? lol) I can get for a few mins to accelerate some video encoding.  Napkin math suggested it might speed up the job from 3+ hours to about a minute, but sadly my up is so slow (~1MB/s) that factoring in transport time for raw video, it would actually take longer overall :c

This is one of those few weekends where I wish I had a rack full of metal like Carl :)

-Ryan