[mdlug] Poll: what virtualization products are you using?

Raymond Ingles sorceror171 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 13:12:52 EST 2022

I've used QEMU before, though now I'm mostly using VirtualBox on my desktop
PC for a few things. (Some ancient Windows games that need Windows 98 or
so, or a sacrificial Linux install for surfing suspicious links.)

My rack server is using VMWare VSphere/ESXi. It's the latest stuff that
supports Kubernetes, 'cause the software I work on for my job does that and
I want to understand the stack better. I'll probably move more VMs over
there as I get it set up to my liking.

One thing I *might* do one day is get a second video card and try this out:
https://www.heiko-sieger.info/running-windows-10-on-linux-using-kvm-with-vga-passthrough/

Mainly to get near-native performance in Windows games. However... with the
advent of Proton on Steam, there's a *lot* less reason to worry about that.
Still, if GPU prices ever come down, my boys will probably get new hardware
and I'll buy a used AMD video card from one of them. (NVidia cards don't
play as well with IOMMU, from what I've read.)