[mdlug] Anyone using Hughes Net?

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Sun Sep 24 15:50:02 EDT 2017

     Well, I had HN up til about 5-6 years ago, and *fled* as soon as
basic DSL was available at my location.  Short version: underresourced,
overpriced -- they have a captive audience with no real competition and
they know it.

     Their "throttling" once you hit your daily bandwidth limit was
based on some kind of packet delay, so that pages (or parts of pages)
timed out, instead of simply loading slowly.  The most ridiculous and
infuriating thing about their BS bandwidth caps was that every day, from
2AM to 5AM, *all* the customer base had unlimited download, because
that's when Windows downloaded major updates by default (back then).  So
if they could support that kind of hit by *everyone at once*, WTH did
they limit you to 200-300MB/day?

     About the only "good" thing about HN (back then, I don't know how
it might have changed) was that their BW cap reset every 24hrs, so it
wasn't as painful as a weekly or monthly cap.  Still, anyone using it
had best invest in some scheduled-downloading software to put any heavy
BW needs into the "free hours."