[mdlug] Anyone using Hughes Net?

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 19:02:09 EDT 2017

I'm on Exede satellite and generally happy.  It was better than Hughes when
I last compared them.  I'm on their "classic" plan.  For about $70 a month
I have 10GB data but they have a "Late Night Free Zone" between 12am and
5am.

Roughly 1Mbps up/10Mbps down.  High latency as normal for satellite.  Not
good for games faster than chess or remote desktop sessions.

They don't cut you off if you are over the limit, it just gets slower.
They have different plans with larger data blocks but no free zone, or an
early morning free zone.

Their satellite configuration is based on individual antennas covering
specific areas so there's a limit to the number of subscribers for each.
In densely populated areas they have waiting lists.  They're supposed to
add another satellite by 2018.

If you get Exede, don't have the dish mounted on your mobile home.  Have
the installer use a separate pole instead.  The dish has a very narrow beam
and even a little building movement from wind or thermal expansion of the
roof will misalign it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViaSat-2
http://www.exede.com