[mdlug] Tech Request: HP Pavilion suspend and resume

Dr. Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 16 11:44:14 EDT 2017

Carl,

My current suspicion is a permission problem, but
I don't currently know how to find it.

For faster debugging, I am using a remote ssh session,
and can unfreeze the display with 'sudo init 3' which
activates the tty1 text screen.

I discovered that switch works from login screen,
 but fails from user screen.
>From login dialog (dm) on vt7 graphical screen
 1. ctl-alt-F1 successfully switched to tty1 text screen
 2. ctl-alt-F7 successfully switched to login dialog on vt7 graphical screen
 3. logged in and waited for desktop to appear.
 4. Opened konsole window of deskop.
 5. ctl-alt-F1 successfully switched to tty1 text screen
 6. ctl-alt-F7 FAILED, screen frozen, keyboard ignored
    until all keys released, then ctl-alt-F1
    restarted blinking cursor

Suspecting https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/852577,
 I edited binary /usr/sbin/lightdm and replaced
  ' vt%d -novtswitch' with ' vt%d '
After 'init 5', ps -ef | grep X confirmed X running as
 /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7
Symptoms unchanged

Suspecting https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/852577,
 and using yast2 sysconfig,
 I changed DISPLAYMANAGER= in turn to
 xdm, kdm, and lightdm
Symptoms unchanged
 for each display manager

Attempting startx from text screen (after init 3),
 sudo startx -- vt7
  apparently works (ctl-alt-F7 and ctl-alt-F1 successfully
   switch between text and graphical screen)
 startx -- vt7 failed with report
  "(EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission
   denied)" xinit failed. /usr/bin/Xorg is not setuid, ... adjust
   /etc/permissions.local and run "chkstat ..."
Changed /etc/permissions.local to effect chmod 4711 /usr/bin/Xorg .
 startx -- vt7 reports no error, but
  symptoms unchanged (ctl-alt-F7 still freezes)

Stlll debugging,
--
Bob