[mdlug] Winbook results

Harry Burleson hwburleson at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 7 14:24:36 EST 2015

> * I have NOT, however, managed to get a linux system to boot from the
> SD card. The Linux install stalled out when it tried to run
> grub-install...

> I've managed to get the grub-install to run without
> errors by copying necessary files from the installed system to the
> running system; but it still does not produce a bootable SD card

> If I copy the files from the USB flash drive to the
> first partition on the SD card, making it a FAT32, and then boot the
> USB flash drive, it somehow comes up running the
> /casper/filesystem.squashfs *on the SD card*

First the obvious. Are you sure you have made a bootable image on the SD card? Is there
another way to check if it boots from the card? A normal file copy won't copy the
bootloader to the target device.

Second is the SD card reader device set up as a bootable device in your virtual machine?
Setting it up requires (in the command line) a combination of:

$ vboxmanage storagectl ...

$ vboxmanage storageattach ...

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html

Chapter 8