[mdlug] Winbook results

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:23:50 EST 2015

I've got the tw700. Here are the results so far:

*It does indeed run .EXE files. From Windows, I've succeeded in getting running:

** Virtualbox

*** Windows XP SP2 VM running Google Sketchup

*** Linux Mint 13 LiveCD image on same VM, playing a movie, and
connecting to my router via bridged connection to the host wireless

** TigerVNC (viewer)

** EMU48 (HP calculator emulator)

* I've also managed to get an Ubuntu install image on a USB flash drive to boot.

* I have NOT, however, managed to get a linux system to boot from the
SD card. The Linux install stalled out when it tried to run
grub-install. I've managed to get the grub-install to run without
errors by copying necessary files from the installed system to the
running system; but it still does not produce a bootable SD card.

* It gets wierder. If I copy the files from the USB flash drive to the
first partition on the SD card, making it a FAT32, and then boot the
USB flash drive, it somehow comes up running the
/casper/filesystem.squashfs *on the SD card*! /cdrom is mounted (read
only) on /dev/mmcblk1p1, and I can pull out the USB flash drive
without incident. The second (ext3 or 4) partition of the SD card, and
the Windows partition on the SDD, sometimes end up getting mounted and
sometimes don't.

* And finally, wireless works in Ubuntu. I've placed a copy of the
driver directory (after running make) on the first partition along
with a script that does a make install, depmod, and modprobe. (It's
still behaving like a LiveCD, so it has to be done each boot session
that I want the wireless.)

I would like help with any of the following:

* Getting the tablet to boot from the SD card. All attempts to do so
to date either send me into Windows or back to the boot select prompt.

* Getting the tablet, after booting from USB and running on the SD
copy as described above, to then (or instead) run on the normal
filesystem on /dev/mmcblk1p2.

* Getting /dev/mmcblk1p1 re-mounted read-write, so that I can use the
space while running the Ubuntu LiveCD copy.

* Getting Windows to work with a second FAT or NTFS system on the SD
card without wanting to format the card.

* Adding stuff to the filesystem.squashfs on the SD card, or whichever
initd.lz is running when the new stuff should be run.

* Finding out exactly where (and how) the boot process gets switched
from the USD drive to the SD card.