[mdlug] Winbook results

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 20:12:23 EST 2015

A bit of clarification: I'm trying two different approaches to getting
Linux to run. The first, fallback position, involves running Vbox with
the pre-installed Windows as the host. This approach is working well,
and does not need to boot from the SD card and in fact shouldn't. It
does boot the iso's of bootable CDs and DVDs.

The other, preferred approach (as I don't trust Windows on the
internet) (besides which, Ubuntu on the tablet looks pretty damn
nice!) is to run Linux natively, off the SD card since space is at a
premium on the internal hard drive. *This* is what is failing to boot.

As far as whether I'm putting a valid bootable image on the SD card:
I'm not sure about my first attempt, even though I got grub-install to
run with what seemed to be an appropriate result for a UEFI system.

But my second attempt was to put the SD card in a card reader and plug
it into the USB socket, and run Rufus on it exactly as I did with the
flash drive with the Ubuntu image. (Rufus can't access the SD slot
itself.) BTW, it boots from this copy as well - provided it's in the
USB slot. I need it booting (or at least running) from it in the SD
slot, as I have other uses for the USB slot. This is what I'm only
having partial success with.

I have the boot order in my "BIOS" (actually a hacked 32 bit version
of EFI) set as USB Flash, then SD card, then Windows. The idea being
to boot a USB stick, to just put it in the slot (or in a hub), to boot
Windows momentarily pop the SD card before letting the machine boot,
and to boot Linux just turn it on. I can live with dedicating a flash
drive to booting Linux if necessary. But I at least want write access
to a piece of the SD card that Windows can also handle while I'm in
Linux, as well as the USB slot free.

Oh yes, one other thing might be useful: help in getting the touch
screen working in Linux, or at least a clue as to what to apt-get
install when I get this machine to in internet connection.