[mdlug] Completely replacing Windows XP Pro with Linux!

Harry Burleson hwburleson at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 17 23:23:03 EDT 2014

> During a Linux Mint 17 install, I keep getting an error that says
> "/home" is outside the allowed space.
> Huh???

I have not encountered this error but I suspect the installer is complaining
because you are trying to install your Linux system across two disk drives.

If you want to use two drives try installing root and home partitions on disk
#1 . Then after you have a working Linux system create only a file system (use
GParted) on disk #2. Create a mount directory and mount the file system on disk
#2 to the mount directory. You will need to edit /etc/fstab . If you want to
expand the size of /home you can get creative with symbolic links.

As an alternative, after a successful installation on disk #1, you can use a
live distro: Pmagic, Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc. Then with Gparted move the /home
partition to disk #2 and edit /etc/fstab .

Harry