[mdlug] Completely replacing Windows XP Pro with Linux!

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 17:55:52 EDT 2014

rstaff wrote:
> I have an old Dell GX260 PC with 2 hard drives.
>
> I want to completely replace Windows XP Pro with Linux, however I have no clue of how to do it.
>
> In the past, I have added Linux as a dual boot to Windows.
>
> I want to make HD sda (disk #1) the file system root (aka, "/") and swap area.
> I want to make HD sdb (disk #2) the home directory (aka, "/home").
>
> During a Linux Mint 17 install, I keep getting an error that says "/home" is outside the allowed space.
> Huh???
>
> Help to get me past this error will be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you,

http://www.opensuse.org/

during installation, on the installation page that asks for Real name, username and password,
uncheck "automatic login" (or login without password) and also uncheck "use this password
for system administrator"

Opensuse probably has more software packages available for installation than any other Linux
distribution.

See:  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/ and click around for the openSuSE_13.1 directories.