[mdlug] SSD - flashcache or bcache

Dan Pritts danno at dogcheese.net
Wed Jan 15 13:45:14 EST 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Michael ORourke <mrorourke at earthlink.net> wrote:
> The other thing... it seems like it would be difficult, administration-wise, to have a handful of directories living on the SSD.  Probably a lot easier to just dump root onto the faster drive and map say /home to a slower device.  Just my 2 cents worth.

I put everything on the SSD, and cherry-pick things to put onto spinning media.

Generally this has been media files and infrequently-used applications.

Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames wrote:
> The cost of SSD or flash is the main reason I have not looked into either for my personal machines.  Frankly good old disk technology gives you the best return on the dollar.

There are two fundamental measures of what you pay for in disk drives.

the first is bytes per dollar/space/power/controller slot.  Spinning disk is still much, much better than SSD.

the second is IOPS per dollar/space/power/controller slot.  SSD is much, much better than spinning disk.

I suppose for some applications you pay for the fastest streaming read/write speed.  much less
clear cut here, it really depends what you are doing which technology is appropriate.

danno