[mdlug] SSD - flashcache or bcache

Dan Pritts danno at dogcheese.net
Wed Jan 15 13:47:39 EST 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Michael ORourke <mrorourke at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Aaron, I am going to disagree with you on this one.  Are we talking about the same technology?
> I was referring to: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/flashcache

Looks very interesting but clearly not for the faint of heart.

Some RAID controllers and drives do this automatically now.  RAID controllers will have an SSD for
cache; “hybrid” drives have some flash with a spinning disk.

I used a hybrid drive in my laptop for a while.  As you might expect, it was definitely faster than a
spinning disk but it didn’t “feel” as fast as a plain SSD.

danno