[mdlug] Latest Mint 15 is very slow on Virtual Machine,

Harry Burleson hwburleson at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 9 17:43:54 EDT 2013

> Sorry, I just realized someone responded to my post (don’t know how to participate this
> discussion).
Just hit "REPLY" and type -- it automatically sends to the group.

> ...everything run smooth except Ubuntu 13.
By running slowly, I assume you mean that moving, resizing windows etc. is slow. I
believe recent versions of Ubuntu and distros based on it, using GNOME 3 libraries make
extensive use of graphics hardware acceleration. If you don't have it performance will
probably be bad. I'm not sure if VM Workstation v7.14 has 3D support but I did see that
v9 supports 3D graphics. Also, it's possible the guest OS is picking a generic VESA
graphics driver.

You can try a few options if you want to use VM Workstation and it doesn't support
graphics acceleration:

Xubuntu -- Xfce has more modest hardware requirements than GNOME 3

Mint - Xfce edition
Mint - MATE desktop, uses GNOME 2 libraries

Any other distro you prefer.

Some light weight desktops:
Xfce
Lxde