[mdlug] Latest Mint 15 is very slow on Virtual Machine,

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Jul 10 10:46:20 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 17:43 -0400, Harry Burleson wrote:
> By running slowly, I assume you mean that moving, resizing windows etc. is slow. I
> believe recent versions of Ubuntu and distros based on it, using GNOME 3 libraries make
> extensive use of graphics hardware acceleration. If you don't have it performance will
> probably be bad.

This is not quite correct.  GNOME 3, shell, Cairo, etc... make use of
OpenGL.  If you have OpenGL acceleration then performance should be
good;  3D != OpenGL.  OpenGL is a model and an API;  and OpenGL can be
'accelerated' to some degree in software.  Last GNOME 3.6 had some
support for 'soft' accelerated, and this is working in GNOME 3.8.  How
much it is accelerated will depend on your hardware, both GPU and other
chipsety stuff [architecture].

> I'm not sure if VM Workstation v7.14 has 3D support but I did see that
> v9 supports 3D graphics.

I doubt 7.x does much for accelerated video; but always make sure you
have working vmware-tools installed.

> Also, it's possible the guest OS is picking a generic VESA
> graphics driver.
> You can try a few options if you want to use VM Workstation and it doesn't support
> graphics acceleration:
> Xubuntu -- Xfce has more modest hardware requirements than GNOME 3

Yea, people say this all the time.  I believe it's pretty much bogus.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383