[mdlug] Latest Mint 15 is very slow on Virtual Machine, so is Ubuntu

Harry Burleson hwburleson at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 5 17:29:24 EDT 2013

I'm not sure I can help much but could you provide us with more specific information
about your setup, such as:

What is your host operating system?

What virtual machine are you using - Windows virtual machine, VMware, Virtualbox, KVM...?

What specifically do you mean by "Mint Cinnamon... it's still running slow...."? Do you
mean: it boots slowly & is slow to detect devices and/or mount drives, slow to open
applications, slow disk access...?

Sometimes, if Linux has difficulty detecting devices, it will take a while to boot.

> Canonical now releases 13.04, I hope they put more focus on the quality, in stead of
> releasing half-baked stuff every 2 months...

Canonical releases a new version of their desktop every six months and I believe they
support them for two or three years afterward; the Long Term Release comes out every
three years and is supported for five years. Mint follows Canonical releases by  a few
weeks. Also, Mint has a version, LMDE (Mint Linux Debian Edition), based on
Debian Testing - a rolling release.

> ...as we see how egregiously abusive Microsoft is when they force Windows 8 onto average
> Joe (Microsoft employee told me their boss said consumer had ZERO choice...).

Ha-ha ... maybe some of us have choices.  :-P