[mdlug] Latest Mint 15 is very slow on Virtual Machine, so is Ubuntu

Shoufeng Yang shfyang at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 12:12:47 EDT 2013

Hi, folks:

     After seeing the demo of Mint Cinnamon, I installed it on my VM machine, which has 16GB memory and 6-core AMD CPU. Even when I assigned 4GB/4 cores to it, it’s still running slow, as suggested by the warning each time I start it (This machine lacks hardware support blahblah.....). Since I am primarily focused on Centos/RHEL, I can’t install it on a real machine.   The same sluggishness also applies when the latest Ubuntu is running with 4 cores, so I reinstalled 12.04 and it is running a lot smoother.
    Canonical now releases 13.04, I hope they put more focus on the quality, in stead of releasing half-baked stuff every 2 months (not intended to offend anyone if you work for them).  IMHO, Ubuntu is the only Linux (I don’t want to start a war here lol) that has the potential for mass market, as we see how egregiously abusive Microsoft is when they force Windows 8 onto average Joe (Microsoft employee told me their boss said consumer had ZERO choice, so we will force them to use touch-screen and combat iOS/Android).

    Any suggestions how to fix the sluggishness of each one on a virtual machine? thanks!

Shoufeng