[mdlug] [Discuss] Win XP Replacement

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Thu Aug 1 14:33:07 EDT 2013

If I understand your needs, the applications are:

-        Necessary to the organization and/or users [cannot or will not be
replaced with something newer]

-         require an OS that is no longer supported

Two options come to mind:

-        If I recall correctly, Windows 7 includes a virtual copy of Windows
XP. Called "XP Mode".  The applications should run under that.  It would
require upgrading to Windows 7, which itself may require upgrading the
hardware.  I don't believe you need to purchase any additional license to do
this, but it might require a particular [minimum] version of Windows 7 to do
- I just don't know.

-        Option 2 would be to install Windows XP under in a basic virtual
machine ["VM"], which is widely practiced, and well understood.  This would
require installing a new OS [Linux, perhaps.], the VM hypervisor software to
manage it [VirtualBox is free and stable, but if the organization
wants/needs support, then there are commercial vendors], and this would
require a Windows XP license for each install [which I assume you have
already, since you are running XP currently.].

I hope this helps.

Al Fuller