[mdlug] Consequences of 'noacpi'?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:53:22 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net> wrote:
> 2012-03-15, Monsieur Mat Enders a ecrit:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is one reason why I like opensuse
>>
>> Linus disagrees with you
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/1vyfmNCYpi5
>
> Linus uses Fedora, as all reasonable people do. :)
>
> I know some people dismiss what he has to say about desktop issues,
> but frankly I'm much more interested in what Linus has to say about
> that than some random joe schmoe on the interwebs who hasn't done
> one one-millionth of what Linus has. It's not like Linus just works
> in console mode. He does use a normal desktop environment (currently
> XFCE, since he considered GNOME 2 a "disease" and ditched KDE when
> version 4.0 came out). And I think that he of all people has earned
> the right to blow off some steam and rant like anyone else does.
> I love Linus' rants; they're usually funny, pointed, and correct.

I was thinking about this today. As I recall, he jumped from GNOME to
KDE because GNOME 2 wanted to drop user choice, and KDE didn't. I
don't remember why he jumped from KDE to XFCE.

The point of it is, "to each his own" is a vastly important concept in
user interfaces. Trying to force universal paradigms undermines both
individual productivity and niche market utility. I find the latter
hilarious, as it's a big part of what drives the intense cost of
proprietary software solutions.

--
:wq