[mdlug] Consequences of 'noacpi'?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri Mar 16 07:46:03 EDT 2012

> From: Aaron Kulkis

> This is one reason why I like opensuse
>
> *buntu is all about keeping things as "dumbed down" as possible
> so as to not scare away Windows users -- apparently, many are
> befuddled and bewildered by choice and having control.

 Not so much, really. As I said, I'll reinstall, but pick the
non-default option, which will let me set up the partitions how I like.
I've found Ubuntu to be a decent balance between allowing me to deal
with complexity and *requiring* me to deal with complexity. Windows
doesn't allow you to at all, some distributions I've played with
mandated it. For some things, I want it to 'just work'; for others (e.g.
media transcoding) I want full control.

 Now, the *main* Ubuntu distro has gone off the rails with the "Unity"
desktop that I have no interest in. Hence, Xubuntu, which uses the XFCE
desktop.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                     (313)
227-2317

  "People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the
Constitution,
 They don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the
Bible."
                              - Jamie Raskin

http://www.compuware.com/