[mdlug] Password of DEATH

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:34:11 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Garry Stahl <tesral at wowway.com> wrote:
> On 06/05/2012 12:11 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
>>
>> As a way to speed up the process, you could reserve 1-2MB of the hard
>> disk to store a huge key which is used for encrypting the rest of the
>> data, and you need only worry about erasing that 1-2MB of data to make
>> the rest indistinguishable from noise.
>

> I like this.  The drive is recoverable IF you have a copy of the key.

True, but I would take pains to ensure that the 'key' is unique, and
no copies remain if the passive response device fails. Otherwise, the
rubber hose method remains.

Again, the point is that authorized copies of data are cheap, stolen
copies aren't. Chances are, you have a copy of just about everything
that was on that device either at home, at the office or "in the
cloud".

> Trade secrets protected.  The passive bluetooth thing is good as well.
> It also protects from theft by non official sources.  Just don't store
> the two in the same bag.

I'd keep it in my wallet, as a wristwatch or as a function on my
phone. It could even be an RFID tag, which means you could likely keep
one in your clothing and not have it trip a metal detector. RFID tags
implement selective responses, too; if so configured, they won't
respond to RFID readers which don't have their address.

--
:wq