[mdlug] Password of DEATH

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 22:16:51 EDT 2012

Garry Stahl wrote:
> On 06/05/2012 12:11 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
>>
>> As a way to speed up the process, you could reserve 1-2MB of the hard
>> disk to store a huge key which is used for encrypting the rest of the
>> data, and you need only worry about erasing that 1-2MB of data to make
>> the rest indistinguishable from noise.
>

> I like this.  The drive is recoverable IF you have a copy of the key.
> Trade secrets protected.  The passive bluetooth thing is good as well.
> It also protects from theft by non official sources.  Just don't store
> the two in the same bag.

These people aren't interested in trade secrets.  I assisted
INS and Customs for 6 months back in 2002.  They want to process
as many people as possible, while still doing good checks.

TSA is slightly different (more antagonistic), but not much,
and more importantly, most of TSA's screening personnel don't
have the educational background required of Customs and Immigration,
and even if handed Trade Secrets, etc., wouldn't know what to
do with them.

You could hand them blue prints for a hydrogen bomb, and doubt
that even 2 of the entire TSA screener workforce would correctly
identify it as a weapon, let alone a nuclear weapon.