[mdlug] CRT

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:22:03 EDT 2011

Robert Adkins II wrote:
> I do not see the point.
>
> The costs to repair a CRT is almost assuredly going to be higher than the
> cost of purchasing a Flat Panel LCD with better specs.
>
> Heck, it's even cheaper, in most cases, to just replace a flat panel monitor
> or TV than have it repaired, unless one personally has the skills to
> diagnose and replace parts on their own.
>
> We live in the disposable future. It's not always environmentally the best
> thing in the world,

I'm not sure about that... the cost of things reflects two inputs --
the energy to obtain the materials, and the amount of person-hours
needed to obtain the materials, work the materials into objects,
and assemble the objects.

If buying brand new is cheaper than repairing, this indicates that
repairing is actually the more inefficient process.

This is Adam Smith's "invisible hand" or the market place
at work -- Neither you or I can know the exact inputs into
everything, but prices transmit accumulated information which
nobody could ever keep track of. [This is why demand-side
and command economies like the Soviet Union and N. Korea
always wind up as complete failures -- the replacement of
market prices with political decisions causes massive
inefficiencies which are never identified.]