[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomenon?

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Sat Jan 22 11:53:56 EST 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 12:29 AM, Garry Stahl wrote:

> Dan Pritts wrote:
>> but...it's Unix, and it's a nice desktop environment.  And I do not EVER spend time dorking around rebuilding my kernel to get something to work, nor do I ever have to dork with an Xfree86 configuration.  There are things that don't work exactly as I like, but the time I used to spend customizing things to be "just so" I spend doing something else instead.
>>

> I never had an issue with that using Linux on the desktop.  It doesn't
> waste my time.  I have never rebuilt a kernel to get something to work.

I'm sure things are better now, but laptops are really what i was talking about.

> Yes, Apple hardware looks nice, it's still and Intel under the hood.  I
> like thinkpads because that grungy, dull looking finish is nigh
> indestructible.  I've had thinkpads older than dirt that looked brand
> new.  Thus far they have all been Linux friendly.  My current T-61 came
> loaded with Linux.

I agree that thinkpad hardware is excellent, or at least it was until lenovo took over (i have no experience with lenovo thinkpads one way or the other).

Unfortunately, I had exactly the kind of experience that I'm referring to with a shiny new T23.

Preloaded with linux, now that is a big change for the positive.

Oh yeah, one other thing I didn't mention.  Living in the real world, as opposed to living in the world we'd all prefer, I have to deal with M$ attachments, and OpenOffice just doesn't cut it when it comes to sending documents back and forth and trying to maintain formatting.  This does not please me, and it's not Linux's fault, but it's another reason not to use linux on the desktop.

really, though, if you're happy, i'm happy you're happy.  Just don't suggest I'm an idiot because I choose apple.