[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomenon?

Jacob Todd jaketodd422 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 12:01:47 EST 2011

Thinkad hardware is still great. My thinkpad w510 worked 'out-of-the-box'
with gentoo.
On Jan 22, 2011 11:54 AM, "Dan Pritts" <danno at umich.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2011, at 12:29 AM, Garry Stahl wrote:
>
>> Dan Pritts wrote:
>>> but...it's Unix, and it's a nice desktop environment. And I do not EVER
spend time dorking around rebuilding my kernel to get something to work, nor
do I ever have to dork with an Xfree86 configuration. There are things that
don't work exactly as I like, but the time I used to spend customizing
things to be "just so" I spend doing something else instead.

>> I never had an issue with that using Linux on the desktop. It doesn't
>> waste my time. I have never rebuilt a kernel to get something to work.
>
> I'm sure things are better now, but laptops are really what i was talking
about.

>> Yes, Apple hardware looks nice, it's still and Intel under the hood. I
>> like thinkpads because that grungy, dull looking finish is nigh
>> indestructible. I've had thinkpads older than dirt that looked brand
>> new. Thus far they have all been Linux friendly. My current T-61 came
>> loaded with Linux.
>
> I agree that thinkpad hardware is excellent, or at least it was until
lenovo took over (i have no experience with lenovo thinkpads one way or the
other).

> Unfortunately, I had exactly the kind of experience that I'm referring to
with a shiny new T23.

> Preloaded with linux, now that is a big change for the positive.
>
> Oh yeah, one other thing I didn't mention. Living in the real world, as
opposed to living in the world we'd all prefer, I have to deal with M$
attachments, and OpenOffice just doesn't cut it when it comes to sending
documents back and forth and trying to maintain formatting. This does not
please me, and it's not Linux's fault, but it's another reason not to use
linux on the desktop.

> really, though, if you're happy, i'm happy you're happy. Just don't
suggest I'm an idiot because I choose apple.