[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomenon?

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Fri Jan 21 00:07:45 EST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Garry Stahl wrote:
> Sure Apple has pretty toys, but they practice lock in like Microsoft
> wishes it could.  There are flaws in the hardware and software and they
> are stuck with what is known to be the worse phone service in the
> nation, still, the faithful flock year after year to be inconvenienced
> and pay too much money for the flawed pretty toys.
>
> I considered a Mac at one point.  The price drove me off.  They are not
> that much money better than say Acer.

Another viewpoint...

I use apple on the desktop, linux, windows (blech), solaris, freebsd on the server.

You are right, apple is expensive.  and the hardware is nice but definitely has its flaws.

but...it's Unix, and it's a nice desktop environment.  And I do not EVER spend time dorking around rebuilding my kernel to get something to work, nor do I ever have to dork with an Xfree86 configuration.  There are things that don't work exactly as I like, but the time I used to spend customizing things to be "just so" I spend doing something else instead.

You don't like apple, it's fine with me.  But apple surely doesn't "inconvenience me", at least not on the desktop (iphone, well, you have a point [*] ).  But on the desktop, I don't "pay too much" - I pay a premium price for what I consider to be a premium product.

[*] http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-09-21/