[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomenon?

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Fri Jan 21 00:29:57 EST 2011

Dan Pritts wrote:
> but...it's Unix, and it's a nice desktop environment.  And I do not EVER spend time dorking around rebuilding my kernel to get something to work, nor do I ever have to dork with an Xfree86 configuration.  There are things that don't work exactly as I like, but the time I used to spend customizing things to be "just so" I spend doing something else instead.

I never had an issue with that using Linux on the desktop.  It doesn't
waste my time.  I have never rebuilt a kernel to get something to work.

Yes, Apple hardware looks nice, it's still and Intel under the hood.  I
like thinkpads because that grungy, dull looking finish is nigh
indestructible.  I've had thinkpads older than dirt that looked brand
new.  Thus far they have all been Linux friendly.  My current T-61 came
loaded with Linux.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know, the rest is propaganda. -- Horacio Verbitsky
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org