[mdlug] File transfer problem

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 6 21:40:26 EST 2011

Lug Nuts,

I have a problem I'm trying to solve.  Hopefully someone can offer some
suggestions.

I have a web repository that is in a DMZ which serves out content via NFS to
Apache web servers.  This server has no direct access outside the DMZ from
our Intranet.  We need to be able to provide the web content team access to
the web repository to upload files.  In our old environment, they could FTP
directly to the web repository from our Intranet.  However, in the new
environment, things are more locked down.  So my thought was to setup FTP
services on a box in the management network, which is accessible from our
Intranet, and can access the web repository in the DMZ.  If I do that, then
I need to have some way to automatically move the files from the management
box to the web repository.  I could set up a cron job on the FTP server to
periodically check for new files, then fire off an scp or rsync to the web
repository.  Here's one of my concerns, what if the content team is FTP'ing
a batch of images to the FTP server when the sync script executes from cron?
I don't want a partial batch of files moved to the web repository.  Also, I
do not know how many files or how frequently the web content team will
upload new images.

-Mike