[mdlug] WTF /var/log

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Aug 18 15:54:29 EDT 2011

Quoting Garry Stahl <tesral at wowway.com>:

> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> Yep; a good reason to have /var/log as its own volume.  Even on a
>> desktop/laptop system.  This is the most common problem I see regarding
>> omg-my-disk-is-full.
> OK, I have the drive ready to install, how do I name that volume to make
> sure /var ends up there?  I have a 2 tera drive, 30 for /root, 4 for
> swap, ?/var rest /home.
> And should /var be the physical partition?

No, none of those should be physical partitions; they should all be
logical volumes.  Don't commit the entire physical volume - you can
grow this later if you discover you need to [resize even works
'online' these days']

I'd:
12GB for root [probably bigger then you'll ever need]
4GB for swap
4Gb for /var/log
250GB for /home
  - then see what happens.

Empty space also means you can make another dedicated logical volume
for something else if the need arises.

Create the drive as a physical volume, create a volume group for that
physical volume, and create your logical volumes.