[mdlug] WTF /var/log

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Thu Aug 18 18:03:46 EDT 2011

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> Quoting Garry Stahl <tesral at wowway.com>:
>

>> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Yep; a good reason to have /var/log as its own volume.  Even on a
>>> desktop/laptop system.  This is the most common problem I see regarding
>>> omg-my-disk-is-full.
>>>
>> OK, I have the drive ready to install, how do I name that volume to make
>> sure /var ends up there?  I have a 2 tera drive, 30 for /root, 4 for
>> swap, ?/var rest /home.
>> And should /var be the physical partition?
>>

> No, none of those should be physical partitions; they should all be
> logical volumes.  Don't commit the entire physical volume - you can
> grow this later if you discover you need to [resize even works
> 'online' these days']
>
> I'd:
> 12GB for root [probably bigger then you'll ever need]
> 4GB for swap
> 4Gb for /var/log
> 250GB for /home

/home is at 425 gig now.  Why do you think 2 terabyte drives?

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know, the rest is propaganda. -- Horacio Verbitsky
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org