[mdlug] OT: Microsoft Monopoly

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 11:22:56 EDT 2010

Oh, and Microsoft plays NICE?

I will agree that MS's activities might not be "Anti-trust," but there close.
One reason that there was an actual "Anti-trust" law suit was because they were
close to forcing or "Leveraging" their own resources. And the thought of
breaking them up would not have been a bad thing. Because if the applications
division

I would like to NOT have Windows in my home. But I have to use Visio and a few
other windows based applications. I know if MS did port a few applications to
Linux there would be those that will actually pay money for the applications.

So you are a Linux shop and you want to use Oracle that is no problem, same with
UNIX, AIX, BSD and of course Windows.

But lets say some yahoo wants MSSQL you cant just load it on one of your "UNIX"
servers. (I work in education and there are a lot of applications that IT is
forced to support because the “That” platform is the only platform that the
application is delivered.) So NOW you have to buy a new Windows server just for
that application.

I have seen many Unix shops become Windows shops in the past 6 years.  Microsoft
is leveraging and my question is how much of it is in the spirit of competition.
If there was not an AMD then Intel's prices would not be reasonable or "Cost
effective".  Without the competition that AMD offers, your $400 build would be
800 or even 1200. With Microsoft your $400 build would be $600, oh you need an
office product 749.

Lets think back, in the 90’s UNIX was the server environment, but the Microsoft
resource that help make a dent in the server game was MS Visual Studio (eWeek).
The cost UNIX programmers was way more than windows programmers. The bean
counter pointed to the overall cost of a windows programmer in compared to a
UNIX programmer.  Even though the windows applications were buggy the
applications went forward. Leveraging MS resources was a good business strategy.
 That is one reason that MS got there, But their size could be there issue.

BUT in “Anti-trust” there is also a mass issue. And the choice to go with
Microsoft is it’s mass, so that is what I’m hearing.  The MASS of Microsoft is
influencing IT choices, not performance or security.

Even though we know Linux out performs Windows in raw performance and security
IT tech leaders are making a windows choice, and more than a few point to their
size. Does anybody else see that trend?

David C. Lane