[mdlug] OT: Microsoft Monopoly

Jacob Todd jaketodd422 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 18:31:40 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:30:28AM -0700, David Lane wrote:
> (OT; But it is on topic because Linux resources are being replaced by windows)
>
> Recently I was informed that a Linux server is being replaced by a windows 2008
> server.  I started to think about “Microsoft Monopoly” case. MS must have a very
> good legal team.
So because someone choose to use Win2000 instead of Linux on a server, Microsoft
has a monopoly? There seems to be a flaw in your reasoning.

> But I still think that Microsoft is leveraging to move Linux out. I hate it when
> good performing resources are replaced by Windows Servers, “Because it is easier
> to support.” If Microsoft were not “anti-trust” the applications division would
> have ported MS Office to Linux.
This doesn't really make sense. Of course Microsoft is going to try to get people
to start using Windows server over Linux, Linux is one of Microsofts biggest
competetors in server environments. I don't understand the statement about
``anti-trust.'' It's a very ambiguous term.

> I buy and use MS products, sure but sometimes it is because I have to. Not
> because it is my first choice. MS leaves me with no other choices.  And that is
> why I feel MS is “anti-trust.”
Microsoft does leave you with other choices, there's OO.o, LaTeX, troff, abiword,
kde's office software, et cetera. If there's something that these other systems
can't provide because Microsoft threatened to enforce their patents on the
authors, that is the fault of the State for providing monopolies in the first
place.