[mdlug] OT: Microsoft Monopoly

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 20:26:23 EDT 2010

--- David Lane wrote:

> Recently I was informed that a Linux server is being replaced by a windows 2008
> server.  I started to think about “Microsoft Monopoly” case. MS must have a very
> good legal team.

The problem is not the "monopoly", it's the flawed perception that,
somehow, Windows severs are easier/cheaper/better than *nix servers.
The fact is that Internet-facing Windows servers are MUCH more
vulnerable to attack than Linux/BSD/Mac-based servers.  I don't have
the exact statistics in front of me, but from what I have seen, WAMP
servers (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP) are more vulnerable than LAMP
servers, with the Win/IIS server stack the most vulnerable of all to
attack.  This means that Windows servers cost users TWICE (or
more)--once for the OS, once for the added security and (to a high
probability) even more to clean up the mess after a successful attack;
not to mention the down time needed to reboot the system(s) after the
endless cycle of updates (that often cause more problems than they
solve).

You may find more about this here:
<http://uptime.netcraft.com/ex/pass/pass-faq.html>

~~ Michael Rudas