[mdlug] Moniter w/tuner vs HDTV

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Mon Sep 21 22:22:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 16:58 -0400, Dan Pritts wrote:
> if you're planning on using it as a monitor, make sure you
> understand the difference between a TN LCD panel (which is what
> you're getting in this price range) and everything else.
>
>   http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php
>
> I found teh viewing angle of a 24" TN panel to be unacceptable;
> my solid background color looked noticeably different from top to
> bottome, due to the poor viewing angle.
>
> This is less of an issue with TVs since you generally sit farther
> away.

	I'm going to say it's not a problem because we are using it as a tv.
Samsung claims 160 degree viewing angles, both vertical and horizontal.
That seems about right from what I've seen after setting it up. Or maybe
even more? Coming from a ten year old analog tv, anything looks good!

> non-TN displays cost a lot more, though.  I have the dell 2408wfp
> which is currently $449 (plus shipping & tax).  it does not have a
> tuner, or speakers (a speaker bar is an optional extra).
>
> They might not be great for gaming or action movies, either, their
> refresh rates are somewhat slower than TN, i think.

	Thanks for the link, very interesting reading. You still get what you
pay for.

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:18:34AM -0400, Peter Bart wrote:
> > Good Morning,
> > 	I'm planning on getting a medium size lcd HDTV. I've narrowed
> > 	it down to two different Samsung units, I think. The one is a
> > 	1080p moniter with a tuner built in and the other is an 720p
> > 	HDTV. Both refresh at 60hz. Units around 20"-23" don't seem to
> > 	offer rates any higher, larger sets do. The main difference
> > 	seems to be the resolution and the contrast. The moniter has a
> > 	dynamic contrast ratio of 10000:1, the TV is 15000:1. The
> > 	moniter seems to be the better deal? Both seem to be otherwise
> > 	really close in specs. Would anyone care to comment? The TV is
> > 	a LN22B460
> > <http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN22B460B2DXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail>,
> > the moniter is a 2333HD
> > <http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/office/monitors/premium/index.idx?pagetype=subtype>.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > --
> > Peter The Plumber sm
> > Sent from a mobile Internet Tablet
>
> danno
> --
> dan pritts
> danno at umich.edu
> 734-929-9770

        Peter The Plumber sm
        State Licensed Master Plumber
        State Certified Backflow Device Tester
        Factory Trained Boiler Install/Service
        NIOSH/OSHA/MIOSHA Trained Confined Space Entry

        <http://petertheplumber.net>
        24h Service 313.215.5175

        Don't sleep with a drip; if water runs through it; call a
        experienced,licensed
        plumber!