[mdlug] Moniter w/tuner vs HDTV

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Mon Sep 21 23:37:10 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:22:31PM -0400, Peter Bart wrote:
> 	I'm going to say it's not a problem because we are using it as a tv.
> Samsung claims 160 degree viewing angles, both vertical and horizontal.
> That seems about right from what I've seen after setting it up. Or maybe
> even more? Coming from a ten year old analog tv, anything looks good!

160 degrees is typical of TN panels.   The Dell i mentioned before is
178 degrees.

If you want to see what i'm talking about, try getting close to it,
like you were using it as a monitor.  get a single color thing
(cable guide?).  keep your head steady and look at the top and
bottom by moving your eyes.  You'll notice that the single color is
not the same color at the top and bottom as it is in the middle.

Some people don't care; it drives me nuts.

It's also bad if you're doing photography or anything else where
color matching is important.

glad you like your new toy; that's the important thing.

> 	Thanks for the link, very interesting reading. You still get what you
> pay for.

indeed.

danno