[mdlug] Moniter w/tuner vs HDTV

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Mon Sep 21 16:58:31 EDT 2009

if you're planning on using it as a monitor, make sure you
understand the difference between a TN LCD panel (which is what
you're getting in this price range) and everything else.

  http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

I found teh viewing angle of a 24" TN panel to be unacceptable;
my solid background color looked noticeably different from top to
bottome, due to the poor viewing angle.

This is less of an issue with TVs since you generally sit farther
away.

non-TN displays cost a lot more, though.  I have the dell 2408wfp
which is currently $449 (plus shipping & tax).  it does not have a
tuner, or speakers (a speaker bar is an optional extra).

They might not be great for gaming or action movies, either, their
refresh rates are somewhat slower than TN, i think.