[mdlug] Recovering damaged EXT2

John Wiersba jrw32982 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 19 12:28:24 EDT 2009

If you use:

sudo dd ... | gzip >FILE

FILE will be created by the current shell, so it uses the access rights of the current user, not root.

Something like this will work:

sudo touch FILE
sudo chown CURRENT_USER FILE
sudo dd ... | gzip >FILE

-- John Wiersba

________________________________
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:21:34 -0400
From: David McMillan <skyefire at skyefire.org>
Subject: Re: [mdlug] Recovering damaged EXT2
To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>

    Well, it turns out the I/O error wasn't in the drive, it was apparently
in the host computer -- it seems as if, for whatever reason, this
computer (running Ubuntu 8 and 9) just quits after a certain amount of
time with heavy action on any USB disks.  I switched to another Linux
machine and got well past the point where the first computer kept failing.
    Then it turned out that I didn't have *quite* enough empty space on my
destination drive as I thought, and apparently ddrescue can't pipe to
bzip or gzip.  So I crossed my fingers, tried dd with a gzip pipe to the
desination file... and got a "permissions" error.  Even though I was
using sudo(?!?!?).  Gah.  I'll have to take another stab at it over the
weekend.