[mdlug] Rapid website development

Mark Montague markmont at umich.edu
Wed Sep 9 15:30:19 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 3:00 PM, "Michael ORourke" <mrorourke at earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think a Wiki is going to give us the
> look & feel of a business website.  So I would rather trade off the ease of
> maintainability, for a professional looking template driven website.

Why do you say that?  Maintainability and professional appearance are
not mutually exclusive values.  Certainly a wiki is not going to give
you the range of options that Joomla or Drupal would, but for simple web
sites many people successfully use wikis.  The key is picking a wiki
package that looks good and does not force visitors to deal with
wiki-related controls on every page.  PmWiki has been popular for this
in the past, see: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/SuccessStories

I'm not trying to convince you to use a wiki, but if your site does not
need anything complex and if it is really important to have a site that
can be maintained by people who are not web professionals, do look into
wikis further.

                Mark Montague
                markmont at umich.edu