[mdlug] Router - now power.

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:40:29 EST 2009

Robert Adkins wrote:
>> The problem here is defining "when" that we do and do not
>> "need" power.
>>
>> If I wake up at 2:30 AM because the smoke alarm is going off,
>> or if I wake up at 2:30 AM because I suddenly got sick and
>> have to go throw up, the ability to turn on a light can make
>> all the difference in the world.
>>

> 	Plugged in, rechargable battery powered lamps could alleviate that
> issue for you. Build the "batteries" using those new high end super
> capacitors that are out there, the kind that can charge fast, drain slow and
> last for a very long time. Heck, they can be converted into "battery backup"
> units so that nobody has to lose their existing furnishings.

But limited storage.

If your car's battery stored its energy as electrical energy instead
of converting back and forth to chemical (with high conversion losses,
mind you), we would have a very difficult time driving on two-way streets.

>  	Such units could be built large enough to support the entire home at
> the main.

I don't think this sort of thing scales well.  The last thing I want
is capactor of any sort with thousands or millions of coloumbs of
electrical charge anywhere near where I live.  Frankly, that's a
more immediate danger to my life than Chernobyl.

> 	This, coupled with the smart monitoring of meters that is starting
> to become a mandate to better determine what level of power is needed when,
> will greatly help in reducing the need to have 100% power available at all
> times.
>
> 	Add in all the high efficiency technology that are being used and
> will be more widely used and we can see even more significant power savings
> that moving some, half or even most of our power generation to renewables
> like Wind, Solar, Hydro and battery storage will be far less of an issue.
>
> 	Did you know that today, California uses roughly the same amount of
> energy that it did when it mandated energy efficiency standards that are
> stricter than anywhere else in the nation? Since 1978, California has
> consumed roughly the same level of power, while increasing the population
> significantly. That's pretty damn awesome.

I think the best thing to do is let all of these technological
ideas mature at a natural rate, as opposed to politicians attempting
to mandate the progress of science -- because these are merely
redistribution schemes in a new form -- if you "believe" in the
politician's vision of the future, you get paid off.  If you
don't share his belief for what the future will look like, you
get penalized (taxes taken from you to reward those in the first
group.)

Little known fact -- the largest producer of wind-driven electrical
production in the US is Texas --T. Boone Pickens put up a bunch of
wind farms down there.  But, apparently, he's not satisfied with
the lack of profit from these things, which is why he was running
ads on Tv trying to convince us that the money taken out of our
pockets in taxes should be diverted by Congress into his pocket.

His actions say much about wind power and it's proponents.
You and I should all have more of our income confiscated so that
it can be thrown at the likes of T. Boone Pickens to cover up
for his flawed business decision.