[mdlug] Router - now power.

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Mon Nov 9 10:46:58 EST 2009

> > 	Did you know that today, California uses roughly the
> same amount of
> > energy that it did when it mandated energy efficiency
> standards that
> > are stricter than anywhere else in the nation? Since 1978,
> California
> > has consumed roughly the same level of power, while increasing the
> > population significantly. That's pretty damn awesome.
>

> I think the best thing to do is let all of these
> technological ideas mature at a natural rate, as opposed to
> politicians attempting to mandate the progress of science --
> because these are merely redistribution schemes in a new form
> -- if you "believe" in the politician's vision of the future,
> you get paid off.  If you don't share his belief for what the
> future will look like, you get penalized (taxes taken from
> you to reward those in the first
> group.)

	Aaron,

	We human beings hate change, if we can fight change, we will fight
change.

	It goes against our nature to make ourselves change and more often
than not, we have changed forced upon us by outside forces.

	The Auto Industry fought against mandated safety systems, because it
was going to destroy the Auto Industry, instead it ended up creating tens of
thousands of jobs and helped the Auto Industry grow in size, scope and
produced opportunities for a great many people to increase their wealth.

	Ma Bell fought against change because it was going to literally
destroy telecommunications. We all know what happened there.

	There's two clear examples of government mandates, in your lifetime,
that go steadfastly against your assertion. You're assertion that the
government mandating a change will ruin things is wrong.

> Little known fact -- the largest producer of wind-driven
> electrical production in the US is Texas --T. Boone Pickens
> put up a bunch of wind farms down there.  But, apparently,
> he's not satisfied with the lack of profit from these things,
> which is why he was running ads on Tv trying to convince us
> that the money taken out of our pockets in taxes should be
> diverted by Congress into his pocket.
>
> His actions say much about wind power and it's proponents.
> You and I should all have more of our income confiscated so
> that it can be thrown at the likes of T. Boone Pickens to
> cover up for his flawed business decision.

	I know that wind power isn't cheap. I know that fossil fuels will
not be decreasing in price any time soon. I do believe in the science behind
global climate change and I understand that we need to slow and stop
expelling so much Carbon Dioxide and other greenhouse gasses into the
environment.

 	I know that you don't believe much of that Aaron, but there are some
things involved in increasing efficiency and shifting away from fossil fuels
that you should believe in and that is the real benefits to your pocket
book. For one, we are all looking at higher premiums on our home/property
insurance based entirely upon the predicted higher rates of storm damage.
Secondly, we are all looking at regularly increasing prices for energy
costs, regardless of whether there are carbon cap and trade systems put in
place or not, the fact is there is only so much fossil fuels in existence
and the requirements to use those fossil fuels is increasing.

	At the very least, decreasing our required use of a dwindling
resource will save us money in the long run, which is a win no matter what
ideological stand one has, unless that stand is nihilistic and I doubt you
are a nihilist. If, by some miracle of science and nature, we are able to
turn back the levels of CO2 and other greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere
and that ends up having a real measurable effect on the environment, we win
there too.

	-Rob