[mdlug] Router - now power.

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Mon Nov 9 09:26:36 EST 2009

> The problem here is defining "when" that we do and do not
> "need" power.
>
> If I wake up at 2:30 AM because the smoke alarm is going off,
> or if I wake up at 2:30 AM because I suddenly got sick and
> have to go throw up, the ability to turn on a light can make
> all the difference in the world.

	Plugged in, rechargable battery powered lamps could alleviate that
issue for you. Build the "batteries" using those new high end super
capacitors that are out there, the kind that can charge fast, drain slow and
last for a very long time. Heck, they can be converted into "battery backup"
units so that nobody has to lose their existing furnishings.

 	Such units could be built large enough to support the entire home at
the main.

	This, coupled with the smart monitoring of meters that is starting
to become a mandate to better determine what level of power is needed when,
will greatly help in reducing the need to have 100% power available at all
times.

	Add in all the high efficiency technology that are being used and
will be more widely used and we can see even more significant power savings
that moving some, half or even most of our power generation to renewables
like Wind, Solar, Hydro and battery storage will be far less of an issue.

	Did you know that today, California uses roughly the same amount of
energy that it did when it mandated energy efficiency standards that are
stricter than anywhere else in the nation? Since 1978, California has
consumed roughly the same level of power, while increasing the population
significantly. That's pretty damn awesome.

	-Rob