[mdlug] Booting CD images from a hard drive partition

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Sat Mar 21 06:22:58 EDT 2009

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> I've never tried that. On my network I have a server with the ISO
> images mounted.  I netboot with PXELinux from a TFTP server.  It then
> loads my custom ubuntu-installer menus where I can select from several
> different Ubuntu ISOs, Mandriva, Knoppix, DSL, and Parted Magic (the
> latter two from huge initrds instead of ISOs).  The ISOs are accessed
> over NFS.  For installations I have some basic kickstart configs for
> Ubuntu which set some defaults for the "alternate" installers.  Works
> pretty good with systems that can netboot.  Been meaning to document
> this mess.

Yes, please do!  A couple of years ago I set up a network
booting environment that let me install Debian without needing
a boot floppy or cd.  I had the menu set up to boot normally
as defined in the BIOS or with the Debian installer image.  I
wasn't able to figure out how to add iso images to the mix.